When life hands you eggs, make egg nog.
( from the fresh heritage eggs of Wholearth’s Jersey Giant hens, Cream Legbar hens and Khaki Campbell ducks.)
For the eggnog:
- 12 farm fresh egg yolks (separate and save the whites)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 500ml bourbon
- 3 cups 3.5% milk
- 1 cup 18% cream
- dash of vanilla
- ounce or so of maple syrup
- tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup Cognac or brandy
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- Pinch salt
- 12 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups cold whipping cream (35%)
- Freshly grated nutmeg
Prepare the yolks & spices:
- Separate the yolks and whites.
- Combine the yolks with sugar, cream together.
- Mix in the rest (vanilla, maple, nutmeg, bourbon, etc).
- Bottle and chill.
In a new bowl, whip the cream to medium firmness (not fully whipped).
In another bowl again, whip the egg whites.
Gently fold those two bowls together, (don’t overmix or it’ll flatten out).
Now bottle and chill that. You’ll have two separate jars of fluffy whites & cream, as well as the rich yellow spice mix.
Happy New Year!